During P2P transactions, there are numerous types of issues that can occur, each with its own unique set of challenges. Even the most cautious users can find themselves in a situation where a transaction does not go as planned or where fraudulent activity is suspected.
Our primary goal is to foster a safe, respectful, and trustworthy environment for all our users and that is why, in these instances, our Appeal process becomes an invaluable tool. The ultimate aim of an appeal is to restore the Order to a state of smooth operation, where all parties are satisfied and the transaction can proceed as intended. More than just a safety net, the appeal process is a cornerstone of trust in the P2P transaction ecosystem.
Because we understand that disputes can be stressful and often complex, we designed our appeals process to be as straightforward and transparent as possible, ensuring that every user has the opportunity to be heard. In the following sections, we will guide you through the steps of raising an appeal, what to expect during the process, and how decisions are made. Our aim is to provide you with all the necessary information to navigate this process with confidence and ease.
— When can I raise an Appeal?
Appeals can take place only in ongoing Orders, that is, trades where the Maker has accepted the Taker’s request to trade. See How to use the Peer-To-Peer (P2P) Market Place on Bitfinex for more information.
— How do I raise an Appeal?
1. On an ongoing Order, click the button Appeal next to the counterpart’s avatar.
2. A new screen will appear. Read carefully the disclaimer before proceeding. If you understand and agree, click on Start Appeal.
3. Select the main reason for the Appeal from the dropdown menu. If you do not find an option that matches your inquiry, please reconsider continuing, as it may be because the issue does not constitute grounds for an Appeal. If you could not find a matching option but still wish to continue, you can choose the one that most closely resembles the issue you are facing. Hit Continue after selecting an option.
4. Fill in all the presented fields, following the instructions. Once you are finished click Continue.
5. Review the details of the Appeal and carefully read the presented disclaimer. If you agree, check the box at the bottom of the screen and click Submit.
6. That’s it. An Appeal has been raised on this Order. You will be notified of the submission on your browser and email (if you have these notifications enabled in your account). Click Close to go back to the Order.
— What happens to the Order when I raise an Appeal?
Not all issues have the same impact. In severe cases, the order is paused until the Support team can review and engage with both parties to try and reach a resolution. When this happens, the status of the Order will change to Appealed as shown in the following image.
In any case, the User who initiated the Appeal is notified that the process was recorded successfully.
— If I want my fiat payment back can you help me?
No. Fiat payments/transfers are handled by both Peers in the transaction in a manner external to Bitfinex. We have no control over that exchange, nor can we help in any way to retrieve mishandled or maliciously obtained fiat funds.
— Once I release my tokens can you get them back?
No. The final step in the flow of an Order is the release of the tokens. See How to use the Peer-To-Peer (P2P) Market Place on Bitfinex for more information. Once the tokens get released to the Buyer, the transaction cannot be reverted.
— What can I expect from an Appeal?
Appeals always trigger the creation of a ticket and the deployment of our support team in order to address it. The support team may contact the parties involved, either by entering the Instant Messaging chat and engaging live with the Peers, or it might reach out individually using any of the supported contact media provided.
As stated initially, the goal is to support all parties in order to reach a common-ground that allows the exchange to proceed as intended. If this common ground is reached, the Order status will be reverted back to an actionable state where the parties can proceed on their own, as agreed during the dispute resolution process.
Although the Customer Support is limited in the previously mentioned cases, Bitfinex reserves the right to enforce penalties to parties which it deems are either non-cooperative, non-compliant or in violation of the Code of Conduct of the Market Place or its Terms of Service. These penalties can vary based on the severity and frequency of the issues and may range from a decrease in the reputation score, reflecting the User’s standing within the community, to a complete suspension of the access to the Market Place for an indefinite period.
If you have any further inquiries, please feel free to reach out to Bitfinex Support.