Bitfinex now offers direct access over a Tor hidden service. There are a few steps the user needs to take in order to access the service. By default, account logins on the onion domain are disabled on all accounts. You need to login to your account and enable it first.
Allowing logins from onion domain:
- Start by logging into your account normally on https://www.bitfinex.com
- Then find the ‘Allow Onion Logins’ setting under the section Account->Security->Session and move the toggle to ‘On’
- Make any other updates needed to your session settings then click the ‘Update’ button and proceed with confirming your setting changes
- Note: Clef users will not be able to use Clef via the onion domain. They will need to log in normally with their username and password combination.
Tor Browser Install (if needed)
If you don’t already have a Tor browser/setup you can download and install it from the project website: https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en.
Once you have the browser installed, you’ll need to perform the following initial setup to ensure your connection to the Bitfinex hidden service will be secure and allow the https certificate.
Tor Browser Setup (first time only)
In order to connect to the Bitfinex onion domain over https, you need to retrieve and store the SSL certificate being used. Follow these instructions to complete this properly:
- Open your Tor browser ‘Options’ and go to the ‘Advanced’->’Certificates’ Menu
- Then click the ‘View Certificates’ button
- In the Certificate Manager go to the ‘Servers’ tab and click on ‘Add Exception’
- In the ‘Add Security Exception’ window enter the location as https://bitfinex4ietak3t.onion/ then click on ‘Get Certificate’. The window will attempt to retrieve the certificate information
- Once the certificate has been retrieved, click the ‘View’ Button to verify the certificate details
- Common Name (CN): bitfinex4ietak3t.onion
- Organization: Bitfinex
- Serial Number: 00:9C:B5:D4:B6:CB:ED:DB:B9
- Period of Validity: Tuesday, Dec 13 2016 - Wednesday, Dec 13, 2017
- SHA-256 Fingerprint: E9:B4:E0:D2:79:7A:7D:66:DB:81:DD:3C:2F:9A:EB:06:FF:35:02:94:DA:48:77:54:98:77:7D:F1:D4:B0:B2:17
- SHA1 Fingerprint: A3:84:A0:0A:B8:1A:16:46:30:92:DE:76:BD:36:F2:6B:4E:67:E1:CA
- If this information looks good/correct go ahead and close out the viewer and check the box ‘Permanently store this exception’ and then click ‘Confirm Security Exception’
- The certificate will be saved to the ‘Servers’ tab and you can click ‘Ok’ and exit
- You can now close the options tab and navigate to the Bitfinex Onion endpoint address: https://bitfinex4ietak3t.onion