- Log into your account and go to the API section (Manage Account > API)
- Create a new customised API Key by pressing Create New Key.
- Configure your new API key's permissions based on your trading needs.
See our recommendations under the API Configuration Mode below.
- Label your API key and generate.
The Bitfinex APIs are designed to allow access to all of the features of the Bitfinex platform.
It is essential that you store your API keys in a secure location and treat it like a password. Anyone with access to your API keys can take control of your account. Minimise risk by only enabling certain permissions - we recommend that the Withdrawals "Write" permission be left empty as this will disable any/all withdrawals using this API key.
An overview of Bitfinex API documentation can be found here
API Configuration Mode
There are two standard setups which we recommend:
- Read-only Mode: Allows you to monitor your account but not make changes (safest option)
- Full-access Mode: Everything is enabled except Withdrawals
Again, we always recommend that the "Write" permission for API keys be left blank as a security precaution.