An API Key is a unique identifier that authenticates requests associated with your account.
How to create an API key?
1. Firstly, go to your API Key page.
2. Then, choose the Create New Key tab.
3. Choose the required permissions you would like to enable:
- Account Info: lets you receive account fee information and/or edit account information;
- Account History: provides you with the ability to view and download information on the detailed trading activities of your account;
- Orders: view the orders on your account, also providing the option to create and cancel orders;
- Margin Trading: view margin positions and information, you can also turn on the ability to claim your open positions;
- Margin Funding: provides status information and can give you access to offer, cancel and close funding;
- Wallets: allows access to balances and addresses with an option of transferring between your wallets;
- Withdrawals: enables withdrawals through the API.
4. Label your API key. This is an optional choice that can help you easily identify it after creation:
5. Click Generate API Key once you have confirmed all your settings, and we’re almost finished!
6. For security reasons, you will need to confirm the creation via your 2FA code (or U2F device, depending on your security setup).
7. Go to your email where you will receive an email with a confirmation link; click the Create API Key button to complete the process:
Note: Make sure to access the email confirmation using the same browser as your Bitfinex page. If clicking the link takes you to another browser, you can copy and paste the link to the browser you are using with your Bitfinex website.
8. Congratulations! You have now created your API key. On the page, it will show both your API key and API key secret in text and as a QR code. You can either scan the code or copy and paste the text according to your needs.
Important: The API key information will be displayed to you only once. For security reasons, do not store your API key online as it could be compromised.
How to edit or revoke an API key?
Your created API keys can be found in the API section under My API Keys. Here you can only edit permissions or revoke your API key.
How to edit an API key at Bitfinex
To edit your API key, go to the API page and find the My API Keys tab.
Click on Permissions > Edit to proceed and adjust the permissions as you wish.
When confirmed, click Update Permissions at the bottom of the page.
Note: For security reasons, you will be asked for your 2FA code to finalise the edit.
How to revoke an API key at Bitfinex
To remove your API key, go to the API page and find the My API Keys tab.
Under Action, you can select Revoke.
This will automatically remove all permissions which were being used by this API key.
If you have any questions, please reach out to Bitfinex Support for assistance.