What is Paper Trading
Paper Trading is a simulated market environment where you can develop your trading strategies. On Bitfinex, newly created sub-accounts can be set to paper trade.
Through Paper Trading, you can learn and strategise with:
- Exchange, Margin and Derivatives Trading;
- Margin Funding which lets you offer and reserve test funding;
- Bitfinex Borrow which allows you to test borrowing funds from other users by using your test cryptocurrency or test fiat assets as collateral as well as exercise the Increase Position feature;
- Honey to create custom order types;
- OTC trading desk to experiment with large orders without having to go through the public order books.
Important: Paper Trading tokens do not represent any value and can only be traded in this mock environment. Please also note that funding in Paper Trading does not replicate the live environment.
How to create a Paper Trading account at Bitfinex
1. Firstly, log in to your Bitfinex account.
2. Then, go to the Sub-Accounts section that can be found in the main navigation bar. Also, you can use this link.
3. Then, click Create new sub-account and select Paper.
4. Enter the sub-account Email, Username, Password and confirm the password again. Then click the Create button.
- A new email and username should be used when creating a sub-account.
- Once a sub-account has been created and enabled for paper trading, it cannot be later converted to a regular account.
How to create a Paper Trading account for Bitfinex Honey
Honey enables Bitfinex users to create custom order types or event-driven automated trading strategies in your paper trading sub-accounts. This allows you to test Honey trading strategies in a simulated environment.
How to create an account:
When logging in, select Paper from the trading mode and add the API keys created in the settings page of your sub-account to complete the setup.
Important: If you are using the Honey application, you will need to create an API key in your Paper Trading sub-accounts.
Note: If you are using the website version, an API key is not needed.
How to top up a Paper Trading account
1. On your Paper Trading account, navigate to the Trading page, where you will have the balances widget.
2. Here, select Refill Paper Balances, and this will redirect you to the refill form.
3. Refill your paper balances and try to develop your own trading strategies.
- The total balance per sub-account is refilled only to up to $1,000,000 equivalent at maximum and up to $100,000 equivalent per paper currency.
- Bitfinex Honey and Bitfinex Borrow currently offer a limited selection of trading pairs.
If you have any questions, contact Bitfinex Support. Our team is happy to help!