Phishing is a type of internet scam in which cybercriminals use email, text messages, advertisements, or other ways to impersonate legitimate companies to steal personal information or finances. By various means, fraudsters will try to trick you into providing the information they seek.
What are the most common phishing scams:
- Links to Bitfinex with a similar URL that deceive legitimate Bitfinex users into using their login credentials which are later stolen;
Note: The legitimate Bitfinex URL is https://www.bitfinex.com, while the URL to login is https://www.bitfinex.com/login.
- Emails that appear to be from Bitfinex, alerting you that you have won something, that your token is ready for listing on our site, or that your password is about to expire and needs updating;
- Fraudulent mobile applications which mimic the style of Bitfinex to steal your login information;
Note: The official Bitfinex application can be found here:
- Unsafe web links which, when clicked, can steal information about your account;
- Sites enticing you to buy BItfinex shares;
- Giveaway schemes that redirect you to third party scam sites or request deposits to release funds they claim you have won;
- Scam sites that require you to give up the API keys of your account;
- Moderators asking you to join competitions that have not been announced on our announcement page and redirect you to other sites.
While the aforementioned are the most prevalent scams, it is critical to be vigilant for several others. Our social media moderators will never:
- require payment in order to assist you;
- ask any personal questions, such as your email address, username, passwords and other details;
- initiate contact with you through direct messaging;
- use the comment sections to solicit you to send funds so you can get double the amount afterwards as part of a promotion.
Important: To ensure your Bitfinex account is as secure as it should be, read more about our Security Best Practices.
If you have any suspicions about the legitimacy of any information you see, we recommend you contact us through Live Chat or through Bitfinex Support service for assistance. Our customer service team is ready at your service 24/7.