Frequently Asked Questions in this article:
- Is there a guide to the verification process?
- Do I need to verify my account to start trading?
- Which types of accounts are available?
- What levels of verification are available?
- How long does each verification level take?
- What if my ID does not have an expiration date?
- What if I don't have an Area Code for my phone number?
- Which documents do you accept as Proof of Residence?
Is there a guide to the verification process?
Yes! The video below will take you through the procedure:
Do I need to verify my account to start trading?
When you create an account on Bitfinex by linking your email address, your account becomes verified on Basic level. This means that you will be able to deposit and withdraw most listed currencies on Bitfinex, make exchange and margin trades, provide margin funding, and have access to the Bitfinex OTC market.
Further verification is required for users wishing to deposit/withdraw fiat currencies (e.g. USD), for selected utility and stablecoins, (e.g. LEO, Tether USDt tokens), and/or to access advanced trading options.
Note that as per our Terms of Service, we reserve the right to ask for KYC information at any point in time if your account activity raises flags. For a complete overview of verification levels and advantages please check the dedicated article.
Which types of accounts are available?
Bitfinex offers two types of accounts:
- Individual account - for professionals and individual traders
- Corporate account - for institutional investors and corporations
What levels of verification are available?
Bitfinex offers four levels of verification: Basic, Basic Plus, Intermediate and Full.
For a complete overview of verification levels and advantages please check the dedicated article.
How long does each verification level take?
Basic verification is available immediately when creating an account and linking your email address.
Basic Plus offers an instant verification, only taking 10-30 seconds to complete.
Intermediate and full account verification take 2-3 working days. However, applications can take longer if they are incomplete or if they are submitted during periods of significant public interest in cryptocurrencies. You will be notified by email when your account is verified.
Find out more about verification levels here.
What if my ID does not have an expiration date?
If your ID does not have an expiration date, please select the last date available on our verification page.
What if I don't have an Area Code for my phone number?
Please enter a 0 instead of the area code.
Which documents do you accept as Proof of Residence?
- Utility bill (water, gas, mobile, internet...)
- Letter from a government department
- Tax statement
- Insurance statement
- Credit card statement
- A certified statement from a Notary
Note: The Proof of Residence provided must be no older than 90 days.