The Master and Sub-account feature enables multiple trading accounts within one Master account.
This has the following advantages:
- Bitfinex will use the combined trading volume (sum of the volumes) of all linked accounts, offering a shared volume with fee discounts across all accounts based on the cumulative fee tier.
For more information on our fee tiers, look through our fee page.
- Provides independence to experiment with various trading strategies at the same time. This allows traders to track their strategies more accurately.
- If your account is verified, you can decide with which sub-accounts you want to share the same verification information, so that they can benefit from the verified status advantages. Alternatively, sub-accounts can be verified individually.
- It is possible to transfer cryptocurrency funds between your Master account and your Sub-accounts' wallets.
Master Account role and capabilities
When creating sub-accounts, they will all be linked to your first account which will become your Master Account.
The Master Account can:
- Switch access to view and make changes to the various Sub-accounts. In order to switch to a Sub-account, you need to have verified your Sub-account’s email address first.
On the top right corner of your master account, you can find the context switching drop-down menu that will allow you to switch accounts and make changes.
- Set security restrictions on Sub-accounts.You must confirm your email to make withdrawals from the respective account.
- Set the verification status of your Sub-accounts. These can inherit the verification status of the Master (parent) account if you have this option enabled.
- Only the Master account can create Sub-accounts (up to 100).
How to create sub-accounts
Step 1 - Login/Sign up
Go to https://www.bitfinex.com, and login into the account you want to become the Master.
Don't have an account yet? You can sign up here.
Step 2 - Create your first sub-account
Once you are logged in, select from the "Account" menu -> "Sub-account" or visit https://www.bitfinex.com/subaccounts to enter your sub-accounts administration page.
To create a sub-account, fill in the following form fields: email, username, and password for the new sub-account.
Once all the fields have been completed with valid information, click the "create" button.
Important: Always use strong and unique passwords. Do not share passwords within different accounts.
Step 3- Customize your sub-account permissions
Once you have created a sub-account, it will be shown in your sub-accounts administration panel.
You can then set different permissions, and decide if the sub-account should be capable of withdrawing and/or sharing your verification data.
To enter the sub accounts’ context switch, simply click on the username.
Important: Before you access the sub account you must first have confirmed the account’s email - only then can you access and change security and verification settings. Once done, the “Email Confirmed?” field will show a ‘Yes’ value.
If you have any further questions, contact our customer support.