The Master and Sub-account feature enables multiple trading accounts within one Master account.
This has the following advantages:
- Bitfinex will use the combined trading volume (sum of the volumes) of all linked accounts, offering a shared volume with fee discounts across all accounts based on the cumulative fee tier.
For more information on our fee tiers, look through our fee page.
- Provides independence to experiment with various trading strategies at the same time. This allows traders to track their strategies more accurately.
- The reporting tool can be used to track sub-account activity and get aggregated data such as volume and performance metrics.
- If your account is verified (basic plus or higher), you can decide with which sub-accounts you want to share the same verification information, so that they can benefit from the verified status advantages. Alternatively, sub-accounts can be verified individually.
- It is possible to transfer funds between your Master account and your sub-accounts' wallets.
- You can create a sub-account which can be used for Paper Trading enabling you to simulate the Bitfinex platform features such as margin trading, margin funding, derivatives and the OTC desk. To learn more, read our Paper Trading guide.
- Sub-accounts can also be created for competition purposes, users can choose to mark these as “Trading Competition Account”.
- Basic Plus and above verified sub-accounts can also share Pulses with charts of their exchange wallet composition and the portfolio exposure percentage. To learn more, read our Bitfinex Pulse guide.
Master Account role and capabilities
When creating sub-accounts, they will all be linked to your first account which will become your Master Account.
The Master Account can:
- Switch access to view and make changes to the various Sub-accounts. In order to switch to a Sub-account, you need to have verified your Sub-account’s email address first.
On the top right corner of your master account, you can find the context switching drop-down menu that will allow you to switch accounts and make changes.
- Set security restrictions on Sub-accounts.You must confirm your email to make withdrawals from the respective account.
- Set the verification status of your Sub-accounts. These can inherit the verification status of the Master (parent) account if you have this option enabled.
- Only the Master account can create Sub-accounts (up to 100).
How to create sub-accounts
Step 1 - Login/Sign up
Go to https://www.bitfinex.com, and login into the account you want to become the Master.
Don't have an account yet? You can sign up here.
Step 2 - Create your first sub-account
Once you are logged in, select from the "Account" menu -> "Sub-Accounts" or visit https://setting.bitfinex.com/subaccounts to enter your sub-accounts administration page.
To create a sub-account, fill in the following form fields: email, username, and password for the new sub-account.
Note that if you are looking to create a sub-account for specific purposes such as Paper Trading, Competitions or Bitfinex Pay (Merchant), you will need to select the option before creating the account. After creation, the sub-account type cannot be changed.
Once all the fields have been completed with valid information, click the "Create" button.
Important: Always use strong and unique passwords. Do not share passwords within different accounts.
Step 3- Customize your sub-account permissions
Once you have created a sub-account, it will be shown in your sub-accounts administration panel.
You can then set different permissions, and decide if the sub-account should be capable of withdrawing and/or sharing your verification data.
To enter the sub accounts’ context switch, simply click on the username.
Important: Before you access the sub account you must first have confirmed the account’s email - only then can you access and change security and verification settings. Once done, the “Email Confirmed?” field will show a ‘Yes’ value.
Transfer funds between Master and Sub-accounts
Funds can be transferred, with no fees, using the Quick Transfer widget from the Master to a Sub-account and vice versa. In the “To Account” section, you can select the linked Bitfinex account you would like to transfer funds to:
Regardless of the verification status of sub-accounts, all cryptocurrencies, stable-coins and fiat currencies can be transferred between Master and Sub-accounts.
While sub-accounts can not transfer funds to other sub-accounts.
Important Note: On your security settings if you have set that withdrawals of accounts to be disabled, transfers from and to Master accounts would still take place.
If you have any further questions, contact our customer support.